Built St. Louis
> > On the Road in New Orleans
Lower 9th Ward - south
Photographs from December 28th, 2006
The Mississippi River levee defines the south edge of the neighborhood. To the west is the Industrial Canal, crossed by two bridges and divided by a lock that controls the transfer of water between the river and Lake Ponchartrain a few miles north.
And adjacent to the river stands the area's landmark works of architecture, the two "steamboat houses". The levee stands in the background; looming beyond it is an enormous, orange hulled ocean-going chemical freighter which was docked at a transfer point and loomed over the neighborhood on the day of our visit.
The view standing atop the levee: the Mississippi River at left; the Lower 9th Ward at right.
Looking north along Andry Street from the levee.
The steamboat houses at Egania and Douglass Streets were built by steamboat captain Milton P. Doullut in the early 1900s; this one was actually moved away from the river when the levee was moved outward. The influence of the builder's river heritage is obvious, but a second influence was the Japanese exhibit at none other than St. Louis's 1904 World's Fair.
View west up Egania Street.
View east down Egania Street.
"Cleaned - Gutted - Permits applied for 8-27-06"
Tricou at Douglass Street, looking west.
Douglass Street, looking west toward St. Maurice Avenue.
Tricou at Douglass Street.
Looking north up St. Maurice Avenue, from Douglass Street.
Looking south down St. Maurice Avenue, from Douglass Street.
Royal Street, east from St. Maurice Avenue, across the grounds of St. Maurice Catholic Church.
Home || More Lower 9th Ward - South > > >