Built St. Louis > > North St. Louis > > Fairgrounds and College Hill
Fairgrounds / O'Fallon / College Hill
The slice of St. Louis framed by Fairgrounds Park and O'Fallon Park includes some of the most beautiful streets in the city. Some areas have more than their fair share of urban decay, but others have block after block of well-kept turn-of-the-century homes.
The Fairgrounds / O'Fallon area was part of St. Louis's relentless drive north, south and west as the 20th Century began. Much of this area was first settled as farm estates. Several owners lent their names to later features of the area, including John O'Fallon, who owned most of the land that today forms the eponymous park. Early subdivision and construction began in the late 1840s, but most development would not come for another fifty years. Most of the neighborhood's buildings went up between 1890 and 1930. Much of the architecture tends toward the Arts and Crafts and Prairie Style, though with the usual St. Louis emphasis on red-brick masonry ornamentation.
This tour is broken into four parts:
- O'Fallon neighborhood
- College Hill
- Fairgrounds north
- Fairgrounds west
Begin tour > > >