Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Historic Downtown > >
The Merchants Exchange Building
N. 3rd Street at Chestnut
Architect: Francis Lee / Thomas Annan
Status: demolished 1958. Site was a parking lot until the expansion of the Adams Mark hotel.
A massive fortress of a building, similar in character and massing to the Old Post Office but Italianate in style. It was the second building to house the Exchange; its 1950s successor, a Modernist building located next door to the current Science Center, was demolished in the 1990s.
Image from the Historic American Buildings Survey.
All images from the Historic American Buildings Survey.