Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Washington Avenue
555 Washington Avenue
Originally: Bradford-Martin Building
D. Crawford & Company dry goods (1898-1904)
May Department Store (1904-1913)
The Dollar Store
Architect: Francis D. Lee with Thomas B. Annan, 1875
511 Washington Avenue
Originally: Finney Building, aka the Finney Building
Architect: unknown, 1876
These two facades cover one building behind; the two structures were elaborately joined together in 1898, at which time 555 gained its magnificent recessed entryway. The facade at 511 is one of only two curtain-wall cast iron facades left in the city.
After a period of decline lasting into the 1970s, the building was renovated in 1987 as office space and remains in use today. As with the previous block, this one is isolated from the string of older buildings found to the west -- but the profile view of their heavily articulated street elevations, with the old Stix building rising beyond, is quite impressive.
National Register of Historidc Places nomination form