Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Washington Avenue
1136 Washington Avenue
Originally: Hamilton-Brown Shoe Company
Later: A.D. Brown Building
Architect: H.E. Roach and Son, 1898
Clad in white glazed terra cotta and brick, this is one of the Avenue's most elegant and refined buildings. Sharply contrasting with its more brawny neighbors, it was intended to be part of a grand line of buildings facing the widened 12th Street, where the building's main facade is located.
The original tenant was the world leader in shoe manufacturing. Since their hayday, the building has had a variety of tenants, including two different shoe companies, juniors dress manufacturers, and miscellanous retail and offices. It was eventually renamed after the original tenant's founder, a Mr. Alanson D. Brown; with the decline of the garment district through the 1950s and 1960s, it was renovated into offices in 1977. In 2005, it was converted to loft condominiums and renamed The Meridian.
National Register of Historic Places nomination form
A.D. Brown Warehouse at the SLU Virtual St. Louis project