Built St. Louis > > Riverfront / The Intake Towers > > Intake Tower #2
Intake Tower #1
William S. Eames, 1894
Tower #1 is Romaneque in style. Originally reached via a dike, the turbulent waters at its base render it inaccessible today. It feeds the water plant on the shore via a 7 foot pipe.
Like Tower #2, it is situated just downstream from the old Chain of Rocks Bridge. The bridge formerly carried Route 66 across the Mississippi and into St. Louis. After 30 years of abandonment, it was re-opened as a pedestrian and biking path, and again offers impressive views of the two towers as well as its own massive steel structure.
This page of Route 66 Postcards features a number of historic views of the Chain of Rocks Bridge (including the long vanished toll building), the intake towers, and the Chain of Rocks Amusement Park which once occupied the nearby highlands.
Home > >