Built St. Louis > > Vanished Buildings | The Ittner / Milligan Legacy > > Stix School

The columns on display in 2011 at the City Museum

William Stix School

Address: 226 S. Euclid Avenue
Neighborhood: Central West End
Date: 1921
Architect: Rockwell Milligan

The Stix School was demolished in 1997. Today a garage for the adjacent Barnes-Jewish Hospital stands on the site. The four massive columns surrounding the entrance were salvaged and today stand at the City Museum, forming a free-standing mini-colonnade.

Next door was the single-story Elias Michael School for handicapped children, demolished at the same time. Today a hotel for the hospital stands in its place.


  • The Loss of William Stix and Elias Michael Schools at VanishingSTL
  • Stix School at History Happened Here