Built St. Louis
South City: Soulard

Originally St. Paul Friedens Church, this 1898 building at 13th and Allen Avenue became the St. Lucas Slovak Lutheran Church in 1914, then the Gravois Avenue Church of God (a Apostolic Pentecostal Church) in 1960. Currently the property is vacant and boarded. A small performance venue stands next door in the former rectory building.

Allen Market Lane is a particularlly intimate side street, only two cars wide with a narrow sidewalk.

The 1904 Allen Market Lane Apartments, a seniors' residence since 1980, was originally the Homes-Take plant, a manufacturing center for women's dress shoes. From the 1950s until the 1970s it served as office and storage for the International Hat Company, whose painted banner remains under the building's cornice.

Home | Soulard continues > > >