Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Washington Avenue
March 2001: B and R Dry Goods Co. - Nationally Advertised Brands
1405 in 2004, with signs for the Laughing Buddah and Tangerine.
Levin's storefront by night, November 2008
1401 Washington Avenue
AKA: Levin's Clothing Store
Originally: B & R Dry Goods, 1903
1401 is home to Levin's Clothing Store, a long-operating fixture and, along with Levine Hat Company, one of the very last traces of the old Washington Avenue garment district. Its storefront windows and displays have remained essentially unchanged for decades. B & R Dry Goods' terrazzo initials still exist in the doorway floor, as does their painted sign on the building's stuccoed east wall.
1405 has been less stable. The Hungry Buddah restaurant opened in the ground-floor space in 2001, but was gone by 2005. The building also housed Tangerine, a bar and nightclub, from 1996 to 2004. A restaurant called KYO also came and went; in 2008, Solace Cafe and Wine Bar opened in the space.