Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Washington Avenue
625 Washington Avenue
Originally: Stix Baer & Fuller
Architect: Mauran, Russell and Garden, 1907 and 1921
Erected in two sections, this building was originally home to the Stix Baer & Fuller department store, a giant on the local retail scene.
The complex became home to Dillard's department store (which bought out the Stix chain) with the opening of the attached St. Louis Centre mall in 1984. Dillard's closed in 2002 after functioning for years as a clearance outlet, both resulting from and contributing to the decline of the mall.
The building has sat vacant since then. It lost out to the Statler Hotel as a possibility of serving the Convention Center as a hotel in the late 1990s. With the closing of St. Louis Centre, the latest plans call for removal of the sky bridge and conversion to residential space, though economic conditions at the end of 2008 seem to have derailed the scheme.